Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
From the worlds leading high-tech strategist comes the definitive road map to help established companies create next-generation growth.
Geoffrey Moores now-classic Crossing the Chasm became a must-read book by presenting an innovative framework to address the make-or-break obstacle facing all high-tech companies: how to gain market share from early adopters and from mainstream consumers.
Based on twenty years experience advising the top leaders of many of the worlds most successful enterprises, Moores Escape Velocity offers a pragmatic plan to engage the most critical challenge that established enterprises face in the twenty-first-century economy: how to move beyond past success and drive next-generation growth from new lines of business.
As he worked with senior management teams, Moore repeatedly found that executives were trapped by short-term performance-based compensation schemes. The result was critical decision-makers overweighting their legacy commitments, an embarrassingly low success rate in new-product launches, and a widespread failure to sustain any kind of next-generation business at scale.
In Escape Velocity, Moore presents a cogent strategy for generating future growth within an established enterprise. Organized around a hierarchy of powerscategory power, company power, market power, offer power, and execution powerthis insightful work shows how each level of power can be orchestrated to achieve overall success. Moore explains
- how to use mergers and acquisitions as well as organic innovation to systematically migrate an enterprises portfolio out of lower-growth and into higher-growth categories;
- how to reallocate resources across an enterprise in deliberately asymmetrical ways to create a powerful and sustainable foundation for a long-term competitive advantage;
- how to leverage target-market initiatives as accelerants to growth and as stepping-stones to broad overall category success;
- how to create unmatchable offerings by being swift to neutralize competitors innovations and laser-focused on driving in-house innovations to make a business impervious to competitors;
- how to fundamentally change the execution cadence of an organization, pushing change from innovation to broad deployment, creating an irreversible tipping point along the way.
Drawing from thousands of hours spent face-to-face with CEOs and their teams, Moore presents case examples and best practices. While his experience is deeply rooted in the high-tech sector, his models and techniques apply well beyond this arena, including to the public sector.
At a time when the world is looking to established enterprises for growth and stability, Moores analysis is penetrating and his prescriptions are right on the mark. Escape Velocity gives executives and their teams a practical way forward to take advantage of the opportunities amid industry and economic disruptions.
About the Author
Geoffrey Moore is chairman emeritus of three consulting firmsThe Chasm Group, Chasm Institute, and TCG Advisorsall of which provide marketing strategy and organizational advice to leading high-technology companies. Moore is also a venture partner with Mohr Davidow Ventures, a California-based venture capital firm specializing in specific technology markets, including e-commerce, Internet, enterprise software, networking, and semiconductors.
Praise for Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past…
“A pragmatic framework to help mature enterprises escape the pull of their pasts and embrace the new reality of work.”
-John Chen, CEO, Sybase
- Browse Our Shelves
- Chapbook Cafe
- Publishing Services