Pragmatics and Discourse: A Resource Book for Students (Paperback)
Pragmatics and Discourse:
- has been revised and reorganized to place more emphasis on pragmatics
- covers the core areas of the subject: Context and Co-Text, Speech Act Theory, Conversation Analysis, Exchange Structure, Interactional Sociolinguistics, the Cooperative Principle, Politeness Theory and extends to more applied areas: Corpus Linguistics and Communities of Practice, and Intercultural Pragmatics, Interlanguage Pragmatics and Language Learning
- draws on a wealth of texts: from Bend it Like Beckham and The Motorcycle Diaries to political speeches, newspaper extracts and blogs
- provides classic readings from the key names in the discipline, from Sperber and Wilson to Fairclough, Wodak and Gumperz
- is accompanied by a supporting website.
Key features of the new edition include: two new strands on Corpora and Communities and Culture and Language Learning; the merging of two strands on Context and Co-Text; new material from speaker-based cognitive linguistics; updated references; and fresh examples and exercises.
Written by an experienced teacher and author, this accessible textbook is an essential resource for all students of English language and linguistics.
The accompanying website to this book can be found at: http: //www.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415446679.